Play therapy is an effective and developmentally appropriate approach for children who have experienced trauma.
Even for adults who have a robust vocabulary, trauma is often described as being "beyond words." Understanding and utilizing the powers of play with children equips them with the "language" and tools they need to express and process traumatic events and their consequences.
Join Susan Kelsey, LMFT, RPT-S, and Emily Keller, PhD, LPCC, RPT-S for a play therapy training workshop focused on play therapy for the traumatized child. In this workshop, participants will be introduced to the neurological impact of trauma on children. They will also experience a variety of play therapy techniques they can implement immediately with children. They will explore some basic principles in its use to treat trauma.
After the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Discuss the neurological impact of trauma on children and the resulting play therapy treatment implications
- Describe the therapeutic powers of using play therapy to treat trauma
- Utilize play therapy case studies to guide their understanding of how children work in the sand
Presenters: Susan Kelsey, LMFT, RPT-S; Emily Keller, PhD, LPCC, RPT-S
Date: April 14, 2024
Times: 9 AM to 4 PM, Pacific (Check-in begins at 8:30 AM)
Registration Fee: $180 ($150 Before March 31) **Pre-licensed professionals, email email@example.com for a unique coupon code for 20% off all of our training events.
Participants: Mental Health Professionals
Contact Hours: 6 (APT; BBS, NBCC)
Location: 381 Earhart Way, Livermore, CA, 94550 PLEASE NOTE: This location is subject to change due to audience size. If the location changes, it will be held at another venue in Livermore.)
For APT Training, Play Therapy Primary Areas: Play Therapy Skills and Methods (4 Hours)
- 9-10:30 The neurological impacts of trauma
- 10:30-10:45 Break (no CEs will be awarded for this time)
- 10:45-12 Therapeutic powers of play therapy
- 12-1 Lunch (no CEs will be awarded for this time)
- 1-2:30 Trauma-informed play therapy interventions
- 2:30-2:45 Break (no CEs will be awarded for this time)
- 2:45-4 Case Studies, Q&A, Wrapup
About the Speakers:
- Susan Kelsey, MFT, RPT-S is a Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist and Registered Play Therapist Supervisor specializing in play therapy for children from toddlers to teens. She has been in practice for over 20 years specializing in the treatment of children and adolescents using play therapy as her treatment of choice. Susan presents workshops nationally and internationally and is recognized by her peers as an expert on the treatment of children and adolescents.
- Emily Keller, PhD, LPCC, RPT-S is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor and Registered Play Therapist Supervisor who is passionate about applying the therapeutic power of play therapy to help children, teens, and families heal and grow. She has presented at workshops nationally and internationally. She is a certified yoga instructor
For general information, special needs, ADA accommodations or grievances, please contact Susan Kelsey at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive a response within 24 hours. Note: The deadline for requesting ADA accommodations is one week prior to the workshop so we may have time to properly accommodate you.
You may cancel for a full refund up to 15 days in advance of the ent or a 50% refund between 5 and 15 days in advance of the event. No refunds for cancellations within 5 days of the event or for no-shows or failure to attend due to emergencies. Unused funds cannot be applied to future workshops.
Please note: Certificates of Completion will be awarded at the completion of the workshop to those who attend the workshop in its entirety.
APT-Approved Provider 13-356
CAMFT Provider #047919
NBCC ACEP No. 7123
Susan Kelsey is approved by the California Association of Marriage and Family Therapists to sponsor continuing education for LFTs, LCSWs, LPCCs, and LEPs and maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
This course meets the qualifications for 6 hours of continuing education credits for MFTs, LPCCs, LEPs and/or LCSWs As required by the California Board of Behavioral Science.
|Early Bird Registration Fee