The instructor will review the historical and contemporary role of storytelling in the health of children, families, and society. She will also explore the power of words and metaphors that manifest during play therapy in shaping a child's conception of self, others, and the world.
She will offer a brain-development lens through which the participants will explore how stories help promote healthy development and promote attunement and attachment. This lens can be used to help play therapists target play therapy skills and interventions.
The presenter will discuss multicultural aspects of book selection, character representation, and storytelling and how to increase competencies as play therapists so we can better support all children.
The group will explore how their favorite childhood stories helped them problem-solve as children to better understand how stories can help children. She will lead the group through an exploration of the positive and negative aspects of these solutions over a developmental arc.
Participants will learn how to target play therapy storytelling interventions in play therapy.
Presenter: Emily Keller, Ph.D., LPCC, RPT-S™
Date: March 23, 2024
Time: 9 AM to 12 PM, Pacific
Non-Contact CE Hours: 3 (APT)
Fee: $90 (EARLY BIRD: $75 before March 9)
For APT Training: Play Therapy Skills and Methods (2 Hours); Special Topic: Brain Development (1 Hour)
Audience: Mental Health Professionals, School Counselors
- List three benefits of using storytelling in play therapy
- Discuss neurological processes related to various storytelling techniques in play therapy
- Discuss the importance of selecting culturally appropriate stories for play therapy
- 9-10 AM Brain development and research on stories
- 10-11:30 Experiential Exercises & Case Studies
- 11:30-12 Processing, Wrap-up, Q&A
About the Speaker:
- Emily Keller, PhD, LPCC, RPT-S is a Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor and Registered Play Therapist Supervisor who is passionate about applying the therapeutic power of play therapy to help children, teens, and families heal and grow. She has presented at workshops nationally and internationally. She is a certified yoga instructor offering weekly Yoga Nidra classes.
You may cancel for a full refund up to 15 days in advance of the ent or a 50% refund between 5 and 15 days in advance of the event. No refunds for cancellations within 5 days of the event or for no-shows or failure to attend due to emergencies. Unused funds cannot be applied to future workshops.
Please note: Certificates of Completion will be awarded at the completion of the workshop to those who attend the workshop in its entirety and take an online exam based on the content.